floky.com
Privacy

Music Monday: Gotye “Making Mirrors”

Making Mirrors

The Creative Oddball

This is one fucking weird and odd album. It’s catchy and none of the songs sound like any of the others. Which made me really try hard not to like it. But songs like “Easy Way Out” and “I Feel Better” had some hooks that got me listening to this sleeper hit of from 2011. I even wound up putting up with the hit song “Somebody That I Used To Know” every time it came on shuffle. Of course it helps that Kimbra, another pop sensation, adds backing vocals to this song.

Somebody…

Not Bad

After many plays, I had to admit that in the end, the album itself is a nice work, has great production and has garnered a nice large following of fans. No one can say this is a boring album, that’s for sure. It’s diverse lyrics and ever changing beats make up the 12 tracks have made Gotye, aka Wouter De Backer, a household name, who defines himself as a musician that mixes creative with hit song.

Track Listing

1. “Making Mirrors”
  2. “Easy Way Out”
  3. “Somebody That I Used to Know” (featuring Kimbra)
  4. “Eyes Wide Open”
  5. “Smoke and Mirrors”
  6. “I Feel Better”
  7. “In Your Light”
  8. “State of the Art”
  9. “Don’t Worry, We’ll Be Watching You”
  10. “Giving Me a Chance”
  11. “Save Me”
  12. “Bronte”

What are your thoughts on Gotye and this album? Any fans? Not a fan?

Music Monday: Gotye “Making Mirrors” by Banal Leakage, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1. Lisa says:

I’m a huge fan of his music and of him. I’ve never been fascinated by music until I heard this album. Like you said, every song is different. Almost all genres are covered on the album. His live show has breathtaking visuals for each song. He is an incredibly talented musician that is all over the stage playing a variety of odd instruments, but drums are his forte. He is a beast on the drum kit!!! His second album, Like Drawing Blood is the same way…amazing! And the best part is Wally is the nicest person you will ever meet!

Welcome to the blog.

I would expect his live shows and personality would be enjoyable. I agree his talent is evident in his music.

2. I’ve only hear a few songs from the album, including Somebody that I Used to Know many, many, many times (it’s a staple on SirusXMU and AltNation). But what I’ve heard I’ve enjoyed…not overwhelmingly so, but I’ve enjoyed it.

Yes, I hear it a lot still on AltNation and SiriusXMU as well.

3. kapgar says:

I consider myself a fan of it although not enough of one for it to have made my top 10 list. Still good overall though. “Eyes Wide Open” is a good one.

Yeah, it wasn’t enough to make my top 10 list either. And since it came out in 2011, but was still very much popular in 2012, it didn’t meet the criteria for my end of year best of. “Eyes Wide Open” is great, albeit short.

4. Sarah Park says:

I love the song “Somebody that I used to know”. Very meaningful to me. Actually reminds me of someone. And I love the rhythm so much.

Even though it’s overplayed, I do like that song as well.

5. I love gotye!! Specially the song: Hearts a mess