Music Monday: Nine Inch Nails
Original image found at American Songwriter
Since the first time I heard “Head Like a Hole” on the radio, I have loved Nine Inch Nails. So this week for Music Monday, I give you my list of NIN in my life.
- First NIN Album I Bought:
- Favorite NIN Song To End a Workout:
- Favorite NIN Album:
- Memorable NIN Concert Moment:
- Missed NIN Opportunity:
- Favorite NIN Song:
- Favorite cover song done by NIN:
- Least Favorite NIN Album:
- Most Exciting Moment In NIN History:
- Most Respectable Move That NIN Did:
– “Pretty Hate Machine” – the story of how Trent created this album is one of the greatest stories of music. “Sin”, “Ringfinger” and “Sanctified” all remain strong and never sound dated.
– “Right Where It Belongs” from “With Teeth” – There is something about how this song flows that makes it the perfect cooling down to a strong hour long workout.
– 1999’s “The Fragile”. A double album that I regularly play from start to finish. Seriously, the entire (Left) side of the album [commonly referred to as Side 1 or Disc 1] is some of the most consistent music that flows into a single musical moment.
– I’ve seen NIN live twice: in 2005 for the “With Teeth” tour and in 1994 for the Downward Spiral tour. That tour date was at the Delta Center in Salt Lake City with my then wife Denise. The opening band was Marilyn Manson, but thanks to the giant pussy Larry H. Miller [Robin Finck’s t-shirt said so], he didn’t want someone of that kind playing in his stadium. So instead of Marilyn Manson the band playing, Marilyn Manson the persona appeared on stage during the NIN set and ripped up a Book of Mormon. As for NIN themselves, it was one of the most intense concerts I’ve attended. The sound, the lights, the music, the atmosphere, the audience… all intense.
– In 2000, while touring for “The Fragile”, I was given the opportunity to a decent seat/ticket from a friend. I passed due to.. you know, I have no fucking clue why I passed up on opportunity to see NIN again in concert. [It had better been because I was spending time with my daughter.]
– You know how hard this is? Damn, I don’t know if I can pick a favorite. But if I had to, it would be “Heresy” from “The Downward Spiral”. The lyrics, the beat, the overall structure of the song is just good.
– “Physical (You’re So)” from the “Broken” EP. Originally done by Adam and the Ants, Trent and band take this song into the next level. Musically, this song kicks some serious ass. A very close second for favorite cover is “Get Down, Make Love” for the Queen fan in me.
– “Year Zero” – I really, really loved the story, the lead up to the album’s release and how they got everyone – fans included – excited for new music. After a good 60 or so listens, there are parts of it that are not that enjoyable to me. Maybe if I saw them live for this tour, it would have got me more into this album.
– When Trent won the Oscar for “The Social Network” soundtrack [along side Atticus Ross]. It was like a validation of everything he’s done from the beginning to that point in time. Plus, how cool was it to see Trent in a tux.
Original image found at Toronto Sun
– The fan-created video project known as “Another Version of the Truth”, which has the full support of NIN. For Trent and NIN to recognize the power of the fan base over the old media dinosaur method of thinking gives him an incredible amount of respect. Trent’s criticism of the music industry was no surprise, given his support for this kind of project.
Any NIN fans out there? Any favorites you have? Comment away.
An Open Letter to Chris Cornell
21 Comments | Nov 25, 2008
Music Monday: My Favorite Song by Talk Talk
4 Comments | Oct 1, 2018
Music Monday: Howard Jones Departs Killswitch Engage
2 Comments | Jan 30, 2012
Top Albums of 2018
4 Comments | Dec 31, 2018
About The Author
Oops. Forgot the link to the wiki page on that. Updated now under the Pretty Hate Machine item.
Fan! I agree with you about “Your Zero”, too.
I really wanted more from “Year Zero”, but it just didn’t click on several levels.
YAY that was awesome! Perhaps I’ll do this too and then link back to your post ^_^
And with you being a big NIN fan, I’m sure you have some awesome stories… like when you saw them on their final tour in L.A.
Huge NIN fan. HUGE. Saw them in London on the Pretty Hate Machine tour way back in the day. Small venue with an awesome mosh pit down the front. It was in the “smash all the instruments up at the end of the gig” phase. I managed to nab a circuit board from one of the synths and one of the drum sticks. I still have the drum stick to this day.
I knew you were a big NIN fan, but never knew you got to see NIN during the Pretty Hate Machine tour. Damn, that is pretty cool. And to still have the drumstick from then is amazing.
Add a Comment Cancel reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
So you’re just going to tease us by mentioning the story behind Pretty Hate Machine with no link? Bastage!