Podcast: Play in new window
Cowards and Trailblazers :
- – Christmas was this last Thursday; hope all my listeners had a great day with loved ones.
- – snow finally arrived here in Salt Lake; and a decent amount, too; along with low 30s.
- News – Story 1: Sony gets hacked, gets threats, cancels then releases limited “The Interview” movie
- News – Story 2: Obama gets Cuba to agree to diplomatic ties after more than 50 years
- News – Story 3: Congress protects medical marijuana establishments in states where it’s legal
- RANT: Shopping at the mall days before Christmas is a mad house
- SHAMELESS PLUG: I have learned how to shop at the mall days before Christmas
- Email Feedback
– Since the hacker group Guardians Of Peace broke into Sony’s network, stealing all manner of personal details, financial information and a load of emails that exposed various conversations with executives; all over the controversial movie that focuses on two journalists who plan to assasinate Kim Jong Un leader of North Korea; this hacker group then released as many details in an effort to stop the release of the film; threats to theater owners if they show the movie helped stop major chains; a lot of independent theaters stepped up and showed the movie, without incident; hackers be damned.
– Link to article: Sony Cancels Release of ‘The Interview’
– back on December 17th, Obama spoke to the nation in an address where he proclaimed that it’s time to look at opening diplomatic relations between the US and Cuba; the thing that opened this up was Cuba’s released of American prisoners and the US release of 3 convicted Cuban spies; controversial on some levels, the overall decision to want to put aside the 50+ year blockage of relations between the two countries is a long time coming; those who are opposed on grounds of communism need to realize how much trade we do with China; the US trade embargo could mean a lot for economic-straved Cuba; although they have those great older cars that are in use after years of being refurbished; still it’s great to see something happening; just need to take some time to change policies and setup proper rules and laws and governing of trade.
– Link to article: After a half century, a thaw in U.S.-Cuba ties
– the most recent federal spending measure, which keeps the government open for business had a small provision that changes drug policy, based on states where it’s legal; mostly focused on medical pot, this provision also prevents the feds from raids on legal pot in states like Colorado and Washington (and soon to be Alaska); the DEA still classifies pot as a narcotic, which I would assume will take more years to reclassify it; this is a great thing to happen, keeping the feds out of state laws and letting the states handle things on the smokable arena; more Republicans are backing this position, supporting those that sell and use medical marijuana; we need more changes to remove the anti-drug laws in this country; this is a great start along the path to legality.
– Link to article: Congress quietly ends federal government’s ban on medical marijuana
– the parking lot and stores are packed; I have a mall that is across the street from my work and the days leading up to Christmas Eve is crazy; drivers lose all sense of how to drive; shoppers packed to the gills; mall kiosks constantly trying to shove their product in your face; double wide strollers nipping at your heels; this is why I enjoy shopping online and don’t have to deal with this; but as with the rest of everyone, there are those last minute gifts that can’t be delivered in time; i need to be better prepared next year.
– so in fighting with the crowds at the mall, I’ve been very good at getting in and getting out without getting stuck; two visits this week and my total time in the mall for each shopping trip was under 20 mins; and that included parking the car and walking; the trick? knowing exactly where you need to go, what item you want and having a backup plan, just in case it’s out of stock; I got lucky on all fronts here and it made me happy that I was able to navigate my way around every person, child, stroller and kiosk employee; of course, shopping online avoids the hassle altogether.
iTunes link: Banal Leakage
Good post Marty, we agree on many issues. Best way to conquer our issues with Cuba, be nice, it works every time. Hackers – they suck, plain and simple. Hiding behind the internet to create mayhem and spread malice is the hallmark of a coward. As for marijuana, well I live in Washington and I’m all for an attitude change in this area, and I’m for reducing the costs of jails and prisons by keeping pot heads out so we have room for real miscreants. I do admire your ability to shop the malls tho, I get caught window shopping every time and cannot count the number of strollers that have rolled over my feet! Maybe next year I’ll conquer the mall too! Enjoy your ice cold air and your inversion, I’ll be thinking of you while I enjoy my clean air and mild temps. Happy 2015 !