Fictionally Speaking

Today, I can now say that I now have a published work of fiction.

As Winter/Lex so very well explained in her blog post a couple weeks ago, she had a project that she was working on back in April 2009 and asked if I would be interested in submitting a short story. She and I had talked before about my previous writing experience, which most of it was software reviews and technical columns in various publications over the years.

I decided to take on the assignment and spent a good deal of time going over a story I already had, polishing it up, learning how not to “head hop” and going through several edit sessions with the main editor.

Weirdly III

Weirdly III
The cover of the story compilation

The end result is called “Double Or Nothing”, which is just one of the 15 odd, weird, creepy, demonic and paranormal tales included in the Weirdly III compilation book from Wild Child Publishing. The short story is about a talented and energized singer who makes a wish to have more than one of him, causing his real and surreal worlds collide.

Lex Valentine, aka Winterheart from Sunlight Sucks, also has one of her signature erotica stories, “Ain’t Nuthin’ but a Hellhound” which is a very good (and very erotic) read about a demon who tries his best to take over the souls of the misguided.

To purchase a copy of Weirdly III, head over to this link. It’s initial release is an ebook in PDF format. If sales are good, it will go to print, which would be exciting to have my first work of fiction in print.

I want to thank Winter for this great opportunity. I am hoping this will be the first of many published works you will see from me.

Fictionally Speaking by Banal Leakage, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1. bubblewench says:

OOOH! The book looks really good. Ordered my copy!

2. SoMi's Nilsa says:

Congrats on being published. That’s a major accomplishment! Don’t forget to update your resume and LinkedIn profile!!! =)

3. Karl says:

Wow, dude. Awesome. Congratulations. One of these days, I’m gonna have some of my fiction published. I hope. Way to go.

4. Winter says:

Happy release day, Marty! Here’s wishing us many, many sales! Wooo hooo!

5. Dave2 says:

Congratulations!

6. Lisa says:

Congratulations!! That’s really awesome news. I’m so happy for you!

7. Ren says:

Bought and downloaded. It’ll give me a chance to test the PDF viewing functionality of my Sony Reader.

Congrats!

8. Sybil Law says:

Kickass, Marty!!!!!!!!!!! :D

9. Oh wow, that’s amazing Marty. I can’t wait to read it.

bubblewench – Thank you, Shannon.

nilsa – Thank you. And good suggestion on the LinkedIn and resume updates.

karl – Thank you. And I hope to read your fiction someday.

winter – Yes, wishing us lots and lots of sales.

dave2 – Thank you.

lisa – Thank you for the kind words.

ren – Thank you, Ren. I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts.

sybil law – Thank you.

kevin – Very cool. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the story/book.

11. Jackie U says:

Happy release day!!! I’m one of Lex’s minions. : ) I like the sound of your story. Kind of a paranormal Multiplicity.

12. Carol says:

Congratulations, Marty, on this work…and best wishes for many, many more!

13. Congratulations! That is really exciting news!

14. Ren says:

I read your story last night on my Sony Reader. I really enjoyed the pacing and your style. The story kept my attention the whole time and the end left me wondering, which I decided was intentional. Well done.

As for reading a PDF on my Sony Reader? Meh. In portrait orientation the text was simply too small to read. I could zoom in, but then managing pages seemed problematic. Luckily, I found that in landscape orientation the text was much easier to read — just slightly smaller than my preferred size — and the paging worked perfectly even though only partial pages were visible at a time (as opposed to full pages in portrait). Overall, it really needed the iPhone-esque auto-zoom so that I could get rid of margins to make the text larger.

15. Finn says:

Bravo! Maybe I’ll be next!

jackie – Thank you, Jackie. One of Lex’s people? That means you are in good company. And the Multiplicity feel to the story is something I didn’t catch.

carol – Thanks, Carol and welcome to the blog. I know there will be many more to come.

tori – Thank you.

ren – Thank you very much for the feedback. And yes, the ending was intentional.

finn – Thank you and you’ll be next with your works.

17. Beth says:

Marty – this is fabulous! I am soooo happy for you!! Congratulations and here’s to many, many, many more successess!!

18. kilax says:

Marty! That is so cool!

beth – Thank you for the kind thoughts. I’m going to make sure there are more published writings from me.

kilax – Thank you, Kim. Appreciate that.