Podcast: Play in new window
iTunes link: Banal Leakage
- – this week is all Oscar coverage. We’ll be back next week with an all non-Oscar episode of the podcast.
- – the broadcast went from 6:30pm till just past 10pm. Long, but worth every minute for this Oscar fan.
- News – Story 1: The Winners
– Ellen as host was great; funny jokes, great monologue and the selfie and pizza ordering bits were great; The biggest award of the night – Best Picture, went to “12 Years A Slave”; “Gravity” walked away with 7 Oscars; my favorite category of Original Screenplay went to Spike Jonze for “Her”; other than Gravity, no sweeps for any other movie; winners spread out; even “The Great Gatsby” took home two Oscars for Costume Design and Production Design; each year I do my Oscar picks, based on both who I think will win and who I want to win; Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor for “Dallas Buyers Club; Jared Leto won Best Supporting Actor for the same movie; Lupita Nyong’o for Best Supporting Actress in “12 Years A Slave”; Cate Blanchett for Best Actress in “Blue Jasmine”; Frozen’s “Let It Go” winning for Best Song over U2’s “Ordinary Love”; I got 14/24 this year; my best is 16/24; I need to be better at going to see the shorts and documentaries before Oscar night. If I would have went with who I wanted to win, I would have got 4 more picks correct; I picked “American Hustle” over “Her” – I really wanted Spize Jonze to win, so I was happy I got that category wrong.
– Link to article: Oscars 2014: Winners List
- News – Story 2: The Shutouts
– American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street, Philomena, Nebraska and Captain Phillips were all multiple nominee movies that didn’t take home a single statue; The second Hobbit movie didn’t win any Oscars, either; U2 a favorite to win Best Song, lost to “Let It Go” from “Frozen”; Leonardo DiCaprio went home empty handed once again; his day will come, but for now, he’s graceful when he loses.
– Link to article: Oscars 2014: American Hustle The Night’s Biggest Shutout
- News – Story 3: The Awkwards
– Adele Dazeem was the biggest flub of the night, thanks to John Travolta’s mispronunciation of Idina Menzel’s name as the actor was introducing her before she sang “Let It Go” from the movie “Frozen”; Slate.com had a name generator to Travoltize your name; mine is Moray Magnus; sounds important even if it’s flubbed; Kim Novak botched plastic surgery not kind to Oscar viewers; doesn’t look 81, but doesn’t look good, either; Liza Minnelli being called a drag queen by Ellen; she wasn’t pleased at all; looked kind of grumpy most of the night.
– Link to article: 10 Most Awkward Moments From The 2014 Oscars
- RANT: Oscars online is a mixed bag
– previous two years, we had a great iPad app that had multiple live cameras, news stories and all sorts of Oscar coverage; this year, there was some broadcasts online, but no new version of the iPad app, which I was sad about; unless you DVR it, the show is not available in on-demand anywhere online, unless you find it outside of the official broadcast websites; it’s 2014, these things should be available for download, even with all of the ads would be good to have for later viewing for those that missed it and for those of us that want to watch the show from start to finish again (yes, that would be me).
- SHAMELESS PLUG: Go see The LEGO Movie
– I’ve seen it twice now and love it; it could very well win an Oscar or two next year; and you can say that you saw an Oscar winning animated movie; 50 year LEGO fan says to go see it.
- Email Feedback