– It’s The Little Things :
iTunes link: Banal Leakage
- – nice sunny day today, even with some wind to help add a notch of negative into the day; the official start of Summer is here, as far as I’m concerned, but according to the calendar, it’s Sat June 21st.
- – I’ve had my taste of Windows 8.1 recently and it’s better than Windows 8, but still doesn’t hold a candle to Windows 7; will update in depth in a future episode.
- News – Story 1: Tracy Morgan, in serious condition after his limo was hit by semi trailer
- News – Story 2: Apple’s WWDC 2014 keynote covers new OS X Yosemite and iOS upgrades
- News – Story 3: Wasatch High School yearbook photos were altered
- RANT: Planned outages and upgrades never go as smooth as you want them to
- SHAMELESS PLUG: Britt Reints gives an 18 min talk for TEDx
- Email Feedback
– comedian Jimmy Mack was killed in the wreck; Tracy has been on tour and had just finished a show in Delaware and on the way to North Carolina; truck driver swerved and hit their van/limo; the truck drive he has been charged with causing the accident; latest news is that he’s still in critical condition, but responding well; always sad when these accidents happen to anyone, regardless of fame; hoping Tracy will make a full recovery and bring his comedy back to the fans.
– Link to article: Truck driver charged in accident that critically injured Tracy Morgan, killed fellow comic
– this past Monday, Tim Cook and Craig Federighi took to the stage at the beginning of the latest Apple developer conference and announced OS X 10.10 and called it Yosemite; they also announced iOS 8; both have lots of new features like Continuity, which will find your Apple devices that are near each other and allow you to finish emails on your Mac that were started on an iPhone; phone calls can be answered on a Mac; for iOS 8, group messaging will allow you to leave the conversation, which is something I’ve been wanting for a long time; and a new programming language called Swift (cue the Taylor Swift jokes) which goes beyond the Objective C and makes it easier to develop apps; so many new changes and all coming this fall; all upgrades are free; except for iPhone 4 users, who don’t get the iOS upgrade; all Macs made in mid 2007 and newer will work with OS X Yosemite; excited for these new changes.
– Link to article: WWDC 2014 Summary
– a high school her in Utah; some girls that wore nice sleeveless shirts or dresses had their photo touched up to add sleeves; the school said that they would apply dress code standards to the yearbook photos; but it appears to only be girls that had their photos altered; there are photos of shirtless males that made the yearbook without any changes; and not every student that had sleeveless tops were edited; it caused quite a stir with parents; no new yearbooks are going to be printed; the staff and school principal have stated they apologize for not being consistent with their changes; you would think that at the time the photos were being taken, they would have someone from the school there to see clothing worn that was not meeting the dress code standards; this modest decision is something I don’t agree with, obviously; they need to make better judgement calls in the future.
– Link to article: Utah School That Photoshopped Girls Allowed Boys to Bare Chests
– network upgrade at my day job to 10 gigabit backbone; this is the second attempt; earlier attempt, we had the wrong parts; this time, the hardware part of the upgrade went smooth and on time; all other issues related to the network being down took the longest; phone system, web applications, servers needing reboots; it seems there are always so many little things that take the longest; we planned for 12 hour outage; technically finished in 8 hrs; little things added another 5 hrs.
– 3 simple steps on how to create a better, happier life for yourself; no more “SHOULDS”; Britt has been a blogger for some time and I’ve followed her for many years, watching her life change to where she is at today; Take the 18 mins and watch and try the steps she outlines in her talk; they might just make your life better and happier.