Podcast: Play in new window
Two Days at CES 2015 :
- – I attended CES again this year, but only the first 2 days.
- – Didn’t have the time to go the entire week, even though I wanted to.
- News – Story 1: Curved TVs; my view of what I saw and how I feel about curved TVs.
- News – Story 2: Wearables; the focus on fitness trackers at the show.
- News – Story 3: Automobiles; electric cars and the role that electronics play in the car.
- RANT: 4K, 8K not ready for prime time
- SHAMELESS PLUG: I’ve been going to CES since 1992, with a 10 year break
- Email Feedback
– My thoughts on the curved TV’s I saw at CES 2015.
– My thoughts on the wearables and fitness tracking products at CES 2015.
– My thoughts on autos and electronics at CE 2015.
– a few years ago, 4K was all the rage; today it’s 8K; 4k is more fluff than anything; granted, there are some really nice 4K TVs out there; and they are backwards compatible with 1080p HD; and prices have dropped a good amount since they’ve been available to purchase; but 4K specific media is just not there yet; Netflix has some 4K streaming content that’s good; but no one has unlimited bandwidth these days, so that 4K streaming media will get chewed up pretty quick; and to see 8K on the horizon is frustrating knowing that even more of that bandwidth will get eaten up in no time; no physical media has 4K or 8K; Blu-ray is HD 1080p; DVD is barely 720P; I’m quite happy with my 1080p Sony Bravia TV; no need to upgrade at this time.
– My first year of CES was in 1992, didn’t have a cell phone and I was the publisher of a newsletter called Take It With You, which covered handheld gadgets and PDAs; I got a cell phone the week I got back from CES and went each year until 2001; then I quit going for the years 2002 through 2010; I returned back in 2011 and have been going each year since; my interests have always been with some kind of consumer electronic like cameras and mobile devices; I have a feeling that next year – 2016 – will be my last as I transition over to NAB, which is a video production trade show held in April in Las Vegas; I guess we shall see come next January.
iTunes link: Banal Leakage